The much-awaited month of Ramadan is here! Muslims around the world are observing fast and Sehri and Iftari are the two crucial times of the day i.e. at dawn we eat food in order to observe fast for long hours and at dusk, we break our fast with healthy nutritious food items. At iftari, people prefer eating foods that tend to satisfy their daylong hunger and thirst. Some people also enjoy eating fruits. Irrespective of any culture, Muslims across the world prefer breaking their fast with dates.
Dates are a protein rich dry fruit that is sweet in taste and contains all the necessary vitamins and minerals in abundance. People who observe fast are advised to eat dates in iftar to instantly regain the energy drained throughout the day as dates are natural energy boosters and they contain natural sugars like glucose, sucrose and fructose. Other health benefits of dates are include:
• Dates are high in iron content and fluorine.
• Consuming dates regularly can help to lower cholesterol
• They are rich source dietary fiber, vitamin B1, B2, B3 and B5 along with vitamin A1 and C.
• It helps improve the digestive system
• Dates help regulate a healthy nervous system.
• Dates are very useful in treating anemia.
• It helps people suffering from constipation.
• Individuals who suffer from extreme weight loss during Ramadan, need not worry, dates help in gaining weight.
• Cures abdominal cancer.
• It also helps in improving eyesight and helps in curing night blindness as well.
• They have a long shelf life and can be stored easily.
The best thing about dates is that it does not have any side effect on the body. Due to these multiple health benefits, dates can be given to all age groups either by adding them to milk (date milkshake), desserts, snacks etc. Dates must be an essential part of every child’s meal to ensure proper development and growth of the body. Even for adults, dates should be introduced in their daily diet in any form. Good news for all the weight conscious people, dates are very low in calories and provide you sufficient energy to accomplish daily tasks.
Markets are flooded with people buying dates. But you must keep in mind that while selecting dates ensure that there is no artificial sugar coating on them. Moreover, don’t forget to wash the dates thoroughly so that the dust is cleaned properly before consumption
With all the innumerable health benefits of dates, taking them at iftar and Sehri is a must. Have milkshakes, indulge in desserts and enjoy your Ramadan with the taste of dates!